- Tour Jerusalem
- News & Events
- Virtual travel
- Contact Us
The first archaeological excavation at the City of David took place in 1867. Charles Warren, entered through the Gihon Spring and then continued to crawl through Hezekiah’s Tunnel. There he discovered a shaft that rises to the upper tunnel, the Ancient water system that has been called the “Warren’s Shaft System” ever since (Bieberstein, Bloedhorn 1994: 183-184, 179-180). Though Warren published various finds from the upper tunnel, it does not appear that he excavated extensively in the earth that had accumulated within the water system.
Following is the location of the dig on the map