- Tour Jerusalem
- News & Events
- Virtual travel
- Contact Us
In early 2005, Eilat Mazar from Jerusalem’s Hebrew University began to dig in an area that was previously excavated by Macalister and Duncan in the 1920’s, on the ground where the City of David Visitor’s Center stood. She supposed that the remnants that were discovered were the foundations of a large palace from the 10th century BCE, the period of King David. A great debate broke out between researchers about these remnants and we still do not know for certainty the date of the structure and what it is. During the excavation, a number of bullae (clay seal impressions) were found, bearing Hebrew names. As work continued at the site, she excavated a tower which was part of the city walls from the days of Nehemiah, during the Second Temple period.
Following is the location of the dig on the map