John Winter Crowfoot (1873-1959) and George M. Fitzgerald (1883-1957), of the PEF (Palestine Exploration Fund) excavated in1927 in the Tyropoeon Valley, west of the City of David hill, in a location slightly south of the modern Givati Parking Lot. They exposed the wall of a fortress with a wide opening. They viewed the wall as First Temple Jerusalem’s city walls on its western side, and the opening as the gate to the city. Nearby, they exposed numerous structures from various time periods (dated to after the wall that was discovered). Their excavation cannot be seen today as it is covered by modern buildings, and it is difficult to ascertain whether their understanding was correct.